Flowers for Algernon

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

'progris riport 1-martch 5, 1965

Dr. Strauss says I shud rite down what I think and evrey thing that happins to me from now on, I dont know why but he says its importint so they will see if they will use me. I hope they use me. Miss Kinnian says maybe they can make me smart. I want to be smart. My name is Charlie Gordon. I am 37 years old. I have nuthing more to rite now so I will close for today.'

------------

Above is an excerpt from one of my favourite short stories, entitled Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes. Without giving away too much, the story concerns Charlie Gordon, a man considered 'mentally deficient' who agrees to undergo a surgical brain treatment in order to increase his IQ.

It's quite touching, and it really got me thinking about the nature of the brain, and how sometimes the mind can be a prison in itself.

Here's a link to the full story :)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home